Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
After any water damage situation, your primary focus is not usually on safety. You are usually focused on your belongings, and/or on your home. You tend to feel helpless while you stand by and watch your most prized possessions become damaged. Rest assured that SERVPRO of Albany and Americus is highly trained to help you during this time and to help shift your focus. We feel certain that if you call SERVPRO of Albany and Americus first we can help you take your first steps like, what you should do until help arrives, and/or what to do or not do after flooding.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (229) 439-2048
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.